Friday, May 30, 2008

College Reflection

I think that this project was great. I learned so much about my peers who in turn actually made me reflect about myself and realize that I could learn about myself through others opinions and experiences. The main thing that I learned about during this activity was that everyone in my entire group came from completely different backgrounds, but somehow we were able to find way more things in common than not. When others were telling there life story and their beliefs I was amazed not only because of how different their story was than mine but how I was catching myself nodding in agreement about how they viewed certain topics. It was fascinating.

I would like to switch gears for a bit and talk about how I would love to implement something like this into my classroom as a Mathematics teacher. One idea that I had aside from have the kids map out their life story and beliefs, was to incorporate aspects of mathematics into the project. I thought of many different strategies but the one that I kept coming back to was this idea of having the students find something in their life that they have a passion for and relate it someway to mathematics. An example of this would be, for someone who likes painting, right of the bat you can not necessarily see any connection but for someone who knows about painting there are many ways in which proportions play a role in sketching out the picture on the sheet of paper. Making sure the head to someone is in the right relation to their body and it isn’t too big. So this is one example of what I would like for the students to do as a content driven alternative. If there are any other suggestions out there I would be glad to here them?

I would like to talk about the discussion we had the other day about race and racism in our schools and country. I feel that the discussion we had the other day was quite enlightening for me. However, feel that I have a unique take on in from playing sports, both at the high school level and in college that I would like to share with you.

1 comment:

Haitian Cookie822 said...

When I was younger, I was extremely shy and keep to myself. So I decided to try a different attempt to become outgoing and meet different people. The cultural collage was a great way to show my different talents. I was able to read my writing, represent my country, and basically be proud of where I came from. This project would definitely be used in the classroom. It would be used more as an icebreaker, to help my students get to know each other and see what they have in common. I enjoyed this project.