Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Newark School Visits Tues. June 3

During my visits today one thing jumped out at me right away. It was how quiet the school actually was both in the halls and in the individual classrooms, well at least the classrooms I visited. It was shocking to me at least because from what I remember from school is kids talking really loud and teachers yelling to get control of the students. In these schools today the students seemed very well behaved and under control, meaning they are attentive and not being rude to one another when speaking and listening.

Moving on, another thing that I noticed was the commitment and enjoyment that I heard and saw with all the teachers we met today. I was not surprised to see and hear this from the teachers but happy and excited to think that yes there are teachers who enjoy teaching and thrive doing so. It in some way gives me confidence to be able to go and teach and be happy. I also believe if I go into teaching for the same reasons why the teachers that we talked with today did, which is for the kids, then I will have the same emotional fulfillment and excitement in my career.

I was overall very happy that I was able to visit these schools today. Everyone was very nice and generous to us. The kids seemed very excited to see us as well. I can’t wait for tomorrow to see some more dedicated teachers and inspiring students at work.

3 comments:

StangCobra said...

I still find it amazing that the pre-K teacher has been there for 40 years...and she still has a passion for the profession and the students. I think she was right on the money when she said that you have to take the good with the bad and just try to make things work to the best of your ability. You have to make it fun...if you enjoy what you are doing, the students will most likely enjoy their time as well.

rg said...

You do have to take the good with the bad, and I think we also need to forget that just because a teacher has been a teacher for 40+ years, does not mean that she or he has stopped carrying that passion of spirit that make teaching so powerful.

Lucrative Thoughts said...

I totally agree with what you are all saying. I hate to piggy back on your comments, but I couldn't help but respond to what you are all saying. I think one of the qualities that a teacher should have is the sense of passion for what she is doing. My group and I had a chance to talk to a teacher who has been teacher at one of the schools for a very long time. She said that not everything is going to work out the way you plan. It might work some years and it might not work the others. What I got from this brief interaction was that it is important to be flexable and adaptable to the many different inputs one might face in school.