Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Relating Math to Everyday Life Challenges

The title of this article I read is “Neb. Math Teacher Honored for Method” from The Associated Press. It talks about how this teacher named, Missy Mahoney, was awarded Nebraska Association of Middle Level Education Award of Excellence. I can with some sort of confidence assume that this teacher is not from an urban school due to the school being out in Nebraska. However, I don’t want to talk about where the school is located I would like to talk about how she has come to be on this level of teaching in her subject which happens to be the same as my subject area, Math.

Mahoney has been awarded this because of her methods of teaching which I hope can as be translated to urban schools as well. Her methods are to relate all her teachings to everyday life situations that she knows that her students face.

“She said part of that includes helping students see how the math concepts they learn in the classroom will apply to everything they do in life, such as talking about sales tax with shopping, interest rates on a car loan or leaving a tip when they go out to eat.”

I feel my challenge as an urban teacher would be to try and find those relationships to what an everyday urban student goes through since I have no experience in an urban environment myself. I am not sure if she would be as successful in a school where she does not know her student population as well. I assume that is the job of the teacher to learn their students and what type of things they like to do. I do on the other hand think that this is the best way to teach the subject of math. In order to be successful in the field of mathematics you have to have the students be able to recognize where they can use this in their current or future lives.

Article located at: http://www.teachermagazine.org/tm/articles/2008/05/28/08mathmethods_ap.h19.html?qs=math

1 comment:

StangCobra said...

I think what she says in the quote is very important - kids need to see how they can apply the lessons to their current lives not just for in the future.